Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: Lars Goes Australia's - Pagina 4 - Forum Wereldfietser

Lars Goes Australia's

Hello,

Well, what can I say ?
The beaches are still beautifull, the sand white and the ocean blue.
South of Ranong I camped on such a beach, almost deserted, km s of beach just for me !
And in the far distance, about 50 km into the ocean some famous islands, surin or something, cannot remember the name. But the vieuw was so great.
After a nice swim a cold beer, watching sunset. I do not mind if every day ends like this !

On the island of Phuket I decided to stay on Patong beach, very, very, very touristic but a nice beach as well, packed with chairs and umbrella's.
Here I had to share the beach with thousands of others, which is fun as well.

Today I go to Kho Phi Phi Don Island with a ferry, stay there tonight and tomorrow to kho Phi Phi Leh Island, the island where The Beach was filmed, with Leonardo Di Caprio.
One of the most beautifull islands ...
Looking forward to it !

And after that on my way to Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, where I plan to arrange my australian visa.

So, the weather is still fine, above 30 gegrees.
And I am still fine too, also above 30 degrees hahaha.

Hasta luego !

Hello,

Well, what can I say ?

The beaches are still beautifull, the sand white and the ocean blue.

South of Ranong I camped on such a beach, almost deserted, km s of beach just for me !

And in the far distance, about 50 km into the ocean some famous islands, surin or something, cannot remember the name. But the vieuw was so great.

After a nice swim a cold beer, watching sunset. I do not mind if every day ends like this !

On the island of Phuket I decided to stay on Patong beach, very, very, very touristic but a nice beach as well, packed with chairs and umbrella's.

Here I had to share the beach with thousands of others, which is fun as well.

Today I go to Kho Phi Phi Don Island with a ferry, stay there tonight and tomorrow to kho Phi Phi Leh Island, the island where The Beach was filmed, with Leonardo Di Caprio.

One of the most beautifull islands ...

Looking forward to it !

And after that on my way to Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, where I plan to arrange my australian visa.

So, the weather is still fine, above 30 gegrees.

And I am still fine too, also above 30 degrees hahaha.

Hasta luego !

Hoi Lars,

Waren er nog veel van die open lucht barretjes op Phuket? Vol met Hua Mu's?

Ga je ook nog naar het James Bond Island?

Je krijgt vooral de groeten van Harm.

Groetjes uit Nong Khai,

Bert
Hoi Bert,

Geweldige plaats, Nong Khai. Ik was daar eens en had een guesthouse direct aan de machtige mekong rivier, super !
Hahaha wat zijn dat Hua mu's ?
En nee, ik ben niet naar het james bond eiland geweest, vanaf Kho Phi Phi Don de ferry naar Krabi genomen, dus eigenlijk om het james bond eiland heen.
Jij blijft nog een tijdje in azie las ik, nog heel veel plezier maar dat zal wel lukken !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helo !

Yes thats maleisisch for hello !
So I am in Malaysia now, Kho Phi Phi Don / Leh were beautifull although the beach was hard to see, so many, too many tourists. Also very expensive but I slept two nights in my tent, at the beach, in front af a hotel, for free. The second night I arrived at the same place but they told me the boss had said that he didn't have a license to allow camping. I just went to another place, next to a restaurant, asked if I could spend the night there which was no problem ;-)
And so I cyled further south, into Malaysia.
The first 5 or 10 km were very nice, green rolling hills covered with forest.
But after that the road became busy, very busy.
And flat, very flat.
And no more hills or forests, only very busy roads. One day I cycled for 60 or 70 km on (high)way nr 1, the only road on my map. And a highway it was, jesus how busy ! All day cars and trucks blowing me allmost off the shoulder, I hated it.
The day after the first 40 km through palm tree fields, as far as you could see, also not that nice.
Now I am in Kuala Kangsar and going south, to Pulau Pangkor. A nice island according to Lonely Planet. Relax for a day, need it. My clothes need to be washed too, jeez, my trousers I am wearing for more than week now ... If I cook it it would make a great soup hahaha.

Yesterday I camped near a house and soon some kids spotted me and came along for a ' chat '. Now, that was not that easy. What is your name and are you married was not that hard but the question " Where are you " brought some difficulties. Did the kid think I didn't know where I was ? Or did he forget a word after, like ' going''. In that case the right answer should be Australia. Or did he forget the word ' from ' , which could lead to 2 answers, either Holland or the place before, in this case Alor Star.
Many times conversations go like this, maybe the next time I just say : from Holland, now in Malaysia and on my way to Australia, covering it all in once.

I hope tomorrows route isn't that busy, leading me to another paradise like island ...

O, how the east was won ?
Well thats easy, on a bicycle ofcourse !!!

Hahaha, greetings to ya all !

Ha die Lars,

Mooie avonturen! Hopelijk kan je wat rustige weggetjes vinden...

John.

Beetje doelloos surfen over het internet, klikte op een reislog van weet ik veel wie....en wat lees ik: Lars uit Rotterdam! http://fer.reismee.nl/reisverhaal/611/ Alleen die foto? Ben jij dat wel Lars? zonder hoed? en die fiets?

Hey John !

Hoe gaat het met jou ?
Die rustige weggetje moet ik maar op hopen, op mijn ( niet gedetailleerde ) kaart zoek ik de kleinste wegen op maar soms zijn dat gewoon snelwegen, kompleet met vangrail en vluchtstrook ... )
Maar waar ik nu ben, Pulau Pangkor is het een klein paradijsje, heerlijk !!!

Hoi Harry !

Haha, ja dat bek ik echt hoor op die foto, heb mijn ( wilde ) haren allemaal in Iran verloren !
Heel toevallig, die site van Fer uit Rotterdam, iemand geeft daar aan dat ze mij ook hebben ontmoet, weet ff niet meer waar...
Hoe groot en mooi de wereld ook is, soms is ze ook best klein ...

Hartelijke groetjes
Helo,

No I am not forgetting an l, its the way they say hello here in Malaysia.

So I did found that paradise like island, Pulau Pangkor.
Had this great campsite, again on the beach bit for the first time I had to pay for it, I was sleeping at this resort. Now it was only 1.20 euro per night so there was some money left to eat this great food at Daddy's Cafe, nearby. Had the most delicious crispy chickenwings with thai sauce and french fries, maybe the finest food sofar !
The island was so nice, I camped at Coral Bay which had this tiny island just 100 meters out of the beach, so an island in front of my island. Maybe it's better if you see it yourself ... I decided to stay another day, so nice it was. Watching sunset all day keeps you quite busy ;-)

Day after I left, taking the northern road to the ferry pier. Now I knew it was hilly and some parts really steep, over 15 %. Up no problem except for my lungs which made sounds like huh hu huh hu huh and that 2 times a second.
No the problem was going down, 16 %. Now I knew my rear brake was almost not working, am having some problems with it for long now. Several times tried to fix, clean it. Then it works for a day and it starts all over again. Anyway, so only my front break is good but not good enough to slow my bike down going a steep hill down. So I cycled verry slow to the top, braked very hard and took my chances going down with 15 km an hour, trying not to go faster. But my brakes couldn't handle .... going 17 km, 20 km, 25 km and now I saw this very sharp bent to the right, a U turn, that sharp. In a split second I knew I wasn't going to make it, going too fast ... In front of me a 30 cm high concrete wall and on top of that criss cross wires. It's funny how fast your brain works in critical situations, like this one ...
I decided my bike couldn't hit the wall, leaving me with a broken front fork.
I knew I wasn't able to make it through the bent ...
So I went for the wall, my feet also on the asphalt trying to slow me down.
My plan was to make a sharp turn just in front of the wall, hitting the wires with my body.
And so I did ...
With a huge ' BANG ' I came to a stop, but, as planned my bike didn't hit the wall, so ghreat ! For me, I only had a scratch on my leg and a heartbeat doing over 200 ...
A little shaky I thanked God, cursed myself and promised to fix my rear brakes again, and now hopefully for good and walked this other steep part, bicycle in my still shaky hands.
And I made it just on time to catch the ferry, taking me back to the mainland with 245 km to go to Kuala Lumpur. At that time I thought it was only 220 km so I decided to go for it in two days, arriving on sunday evening and be ready monday morning to pay the australian embassy a visit.

It were two long hard days cycling to KL.
The second day was the day I : found out it was going to be 25 km more than planned and was invited to a wedding, well, more to eat the food the had. I saw this place with decorated chairs and many flowers and had a feeling it could be a wedding. But I played stupid, road to the place and a sked a man if I could eat here and ' started ' to look around. In the meantime the man said, yeah, sure, no problem. I said " is this a wedding, I mean, can I eat here ? " And he said, yes you can, be our guest ! How nice huh ! So we had a nice concersation and I a nice meal. After some pictures time to move on but not after he gave me a bottle of sweet stuf to drink ( I mixed it later with water which was great ) and a little flower as a wedding gift.

When I entered Kuala Lumpur later that day I saw the 451 meter high Petronas Towers high, very high above the city, what a vieuw !
As tired as I was, cycling on highways with most of the time no shoulder and very busy traffic, I enjoyed very much.
Later that night, finding a restaurant, I saw them lighted, even more impressive !
Great great great !!!
Another highlight of my trip !

Day after I went to the australian embassy to apply for an australian visa for more then 3 months. "Okay" the lady said, you will have to fill in all these papers, we also need a bank account, some letter from my work, you need a medical test and it will take some weeks.
"Some weeks ??? " I almost shouted, but thats no good for me ! I explained my situation, cycling from Darwin to Sydney and that I just needed a little more then 3 months, maybe 4 ... But all she said, "it's your decision, what do you do ? " And I said I didn't know. Dissappointed I took the papers and sad I said down. There was an australian/russian couple who were waiting for more than a month the said. He also told me to go for the 3 month visa and then extend it for a few weeks if neccesary. I said, " well with that I allready hace some experience in china hahaha " and after giving it some thoughts decided NOT to apply for the 12 months visa but take my chances. Now I only have to cycle 6000 km within 3 months, considering I want a week in Sydney to ...
Yeah for what ?
To think things over ?
To prepare for a long flight back to busy Holland ?
To recover my ass after more than 24.000 km ?
Or to find a nice place to settle down one day ...

Well, enough time now to think things over.
And I do a lot of thinking when I cycle my 6 hours a day ...

For now I go to have a very expensive buffet lunch high above Kuala Lumpur. in the circling restaurant in the also very high Radio Tower.

Enjoying life, hope you all do the same !!!

Bye bye

Hey Lars,

Allemachtig prachtig om hier thuis mee te genieten. In KUL heb ik tijdens een tussenstop eens mijn eerste machtig stevige tropische onweersbui mogen meemaken. Wegen als rivieren, wat een water was dat.

Nog een stukje doortrappen en dan eenmaal in Darwin, op weg naar Katherine is er ergens halverwege de Old Stuart Highway een campsite bij een warm waterbron....
Thanks Roald, ik zal het onthouden !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

From Kuala Lumpur I cycled south on most of the time too busy roads...
Also, rain is back, sometimes heavy rain. Maybe has something to do with rainseason ?

So I cycled in 5 days to Singapore. Immigrations was great, a 'drive through' service here.
Then over the bridge and my last country where I cycle over the border was taken.

Singapore is ok, very busy and many shopping malls and a trek bicycle shop !
Monday went to the indonesian embassy to apply for a 60 day visa.
The woman at the counter looked at my papers and told me I had to get a ferry ticket first, proving I was really going to Indonesia ?!? So I jumped on my bike to cycle 20 km to a ferry terminal, the right one I thought ... Arriving there after a nice highway ride I found out I was at the wrong terminal, had to go back to the city. Which I did but it started to rain, very heavy so I sat half an hour with some roadworkers in some kind of a hut. When it was dry I jumped on my bike again. When I rode I thought, better not get a flat tire right now, I didn't bring repair material with me. And yes, it started to rain and even better, I got a flat tyre !!!
I tried to lift / get a cab ( 100 cabs a minute ) but no one stopped ...
feeling really miserable I walked 6 or 7 km through the rain untill I saw a little van parked on the shoulder. The man invited me to take me to my hotel, angel nr .... had just landed.
Always when I am in my darkest hours ...

Tomorrow pick up my passport and take a ferry to Batam Island. From there I have to book another ship to Jakarta, a 24 to 28 hour journey.

Hopefully there is less rain otherwise I go for plan B : as soon as possible ( taking a train or something to Bali, speed it a little up ... ) to australia, into the desert again. Nice warm, above 40 degrees and dry !

We'll see what happens, untill then

xxx

Lars

Hey Lars,

Ik kwam je topic vandaag op het forum tegen. Erg leuk om je verhalen te lezen. ;)
Veel plezier verder!

Groeten, Mieke.
" Hmpfff "
" Whats's that Skippy ? "
" Hmmmpppffffff ! "
" Sorry mate, cannot hear you, ah wait, let me take the rope from around your neck ..."
" Zoooo, that's better ? "
" Ahhh, al last, jee man, finally I can breath ... what I wanted to ask you Lars, you are going to bring me home don't you ? "
" Sure Skippy, part of the deal, right ? "
" Yeah but I heared you thinking sometimes ... I was afraid you were quiting and leave me alone ! "
" No ! , never quit and never leave you alone Skippy, no worries ! "
" Although is was indeed quite hard last weeks, actually since Malaysia, but I still look forward to Australie so I AM bringing you back home my little friend. And now I put back the rope so you do not fall, oke ? "
" Hmpff "
" Hahaha, too late ! "
" I have to inform my freinds about my whereabouts Skippy, talk to you later oke ? "

So I left Singapore on a ferry, leaving this big city with a nice vieuw from the ocean behind me ....
Setting foot on Batam Island were is was hard to find a camping place, so increadible busy ....
Finally put my tent next to a little wooden hut, the nice and friendly owner didn't mind.
Next day tried to get a boat to Jakarta but the first one left 3 days later...
Didin't want to wait so long so I took a plane, only 80 euro's en no extra money for my bike, great huh !

1 / 1/2 hour later and we were in, on, Java !
Found a great campsite in the dark next to some little houses, the owners brought me candles, onions ( which I asked for ) and a flashlight, it was allready dark.
Cycled the next day to Bogor which I didn't like so much, and again, the traffic is so horrible....
Day after also and it began to rain again....
Skippy was right you know, sometimes I think, only a little bit, of going home, maybe I am a little tired ???
But also look forward to australia so I have to go on.

The southern coast of Java is beautifull, had many grat campsites on the beaches.
Saw one of the most great sunsets ever and on the same beach in the distance something else ...
I wouldn't spend the night alone here ....
Not far away on the beach there were two beautifull, young, elegant ....
crocodiles !

As you can see I survived !

Now I am in Pagandarang were I maybe stay to celebrate christmas, then cycle to the Borobodur and maybe spend new years eve in Yokjakarta.
But all are plans and plans can change, as fast as the wind ...

I wish everybody a very good christmas !

xxx

Lars,

Waarom in het Engels op dit forum?

Hoi Ralph,

Omdat ik wil fietsen, lees niet te lang in een internetcafe te zitten...
Ik doe het nl als volgt : ik schrijf in het engels een mail die ik aan vrienden, collega's en bekenden stuur. Daar zitten ook buitenlanders bij die geen nederlands kunnen maar wel, je voelt hem al aankomen, engels.
Daar komt bij dat als je aan het reizen bent je de Lonely Planet in het engels leest alsmede menu's en converseert met de mensen. Ik leef en denk als het ware de dagen in het engels, lees ook engelse romans die weer makkelijk te ruile zijn en zo kan ik nog wel even doorgaan. Ook vind ik het als laatste een taal waarin mijn gevoelens goed neer kan zetten ...

Nou en die mail die ik stuur die copy / paste ik op het forum !
Lekker makkelijk en snel.

Maak ik gelijk van de mogelijkheid gebruik om iedereen een hele fijne kerst toe te wensen en alvast een heel gezond en reislustig nieuwjaar !

Groetjes Lars

Hi Lars,

Heb je jezelf al op de voorpagina gezien?
Zie http://www.wereldfietser.nl/index.php?o ... 7&Itemid=1

Prettige kerstdagen en gelukkig 2008!!!!!!

Groet, Rena :wink:
I am fine !

Van bezorgde ouders en vrienden gehoord dat er op midden Java, laat ik daar nou net zijn :-)
veel doden zijn gevallen door aardverschuivingen tgv van hevige regenval.
Nou, die regenval heb ik wel meegemaakt maar toen lag ik moederziel alleen, op 2 de kerstdag, op een op een paar vissers na verlaten strand, in mijn tentje een spannend boek te lezen en ondertussen onafgebroken hopend dat mijn tentje niet weg zou waaien of dat ik hem te dicht bij de vloedlijn had geplaatst ...
Niets van dat alles dus en ik kan heugelijk mededelen dat ik en nog leef en dat ik morgenochtend de Borobudur ga bezoeken !

So no worries.

Lars

Hoi Rena,

Ja heb ik gezien hi hi lachen he maar ik zie daaronder dat jij ook op de voorpagina staat !
Gelukkig wel onder mij hahaha.
Nu maar hopen dat er een passende even goede kandidaat gevonden wordt...
The Borobudur was great though not as impressive as for example Persepolis in Iran was.
But it was good ! Many indonesian young people tried to take my picture, as if I was more interesting then the temple. After 3 foto sessions I said, okay, no more pictures and moved on.
On my way to Yokjakarta, I haven't told you yet ?
It seems ages ago...

I spend new years eve in Yokjakarta, hoping for some serious fire work !
Had a nice beer drinking evening in a cafe and at 12 o clock we went outside to watch the fireworks ... Hahaha, I counted 3 fire crackers, 3 !!!
It was so quiet that I decided to go back to my hotel to get some sleep, an early morning train was waiting for me the next morning at 07.30 to take me to Surabaya. The train I hear you asking ? Yeah, the train, do not know why but it was in my head for many days.
Travelling the 4 or 500 km to surabaya by train; maybe avoiding the flooded areas, escaping the rain.

But in that train, in a new year I got a new idea.

Why go all the way east to Kupang when skippy is screaming all day and night to get him home as quickly as possible. Me myself also cannot wait to reach Australia. So I was thinking, if I go from Bali to darwin, by plane, it saves me 2 a 3 weeks of cycling in rainy season. And, I read that the world famous ' hemelvaarttrektocht ' van 'de wereldfietser' is early this year, 30 april. So I started counting, half, the end of januari arriving in darwin with a 3 months visa ...

I left Jawa in style, soken wet ;-)
But three days now on bali, I am in Kuta right now, and the sun is back, full force.

Yesterday went to several airline offices to get a ticket to Darwin.
First one said I had to buy a return ticket as well, over 500 euroos, now way !
The last one I visited also didn't bring good news, first flight 25 januari !
No way I said, no good.
And the very helpfull man phoned some more. Aftet a long time the best offer was : a waitinglist for the 11 th of januari, one way ticket for 395 USD. So now I pray to God, and cycle back this afternoon to the airlineoffice, hoping for some good news.

Kuta by the way is one of the most touristic places I visited sofar. 95 % are australians on a holiday where the beaches are nice, the waves are high, the beer is cold and the food fine.
So no problem for me to wait some days ( I hope )

A very good and happy new year ya all !!!

have a good one

Lars
lars de wit schreef: And, I read that the world famous ' hemelvaarttrektocht ' van 'de wereldfietser' is early this year, 30 april. So I started counting, half, the end of januari arriving in darwin with a 3 months visa ...
Heimwee???

Groeten, John.

Hi hi, een beetje John !
Jullie eigen schuld by the way, moeten jullie maar niet van die leuke en gezellige mensen zijn met z'n allen ;-)
Maar ik ga echt proberen voor die tijd thuis te zijn maar ik hoorde van rena dat jullie dan op vakantie zijn ????
Zou wel jammer zijn !

Groetjes van een met 1 been in australie zijnde lars ...
Hello everybody !

So I flew from Kuta, Bali.
Kuta international airport is my favorite aitport sofar...
You know you can taste as many whiskey as you want in one of the tax free shops ?
Hahaha, better call it whiskey free shop ;-)
So I flew pretty ' high ' to Darwin !
Arriving early, 0530 and then cycled to find a hostel, pretty tired I was from all the wiskey and almost no sleep but very excited....
I made it !!!!!
All the way to Australia on a bike, from Europe !!!
As happy I could be I found my hostel and went to bed.

Next day, actually the same day I woke up and went to the supermarkt.
And thats where I saw it, my mouth fell open ...

There was this bakery with all the BREAD !

Now, that's maybe not so new to you guys but for me, travelling for more then 9 months now and never, nowhere I saw this huge amount of fresch nice brown real bread ...
So I really stood there for maybe 30 seconds just staring ....
Hahaha, the lady must have thought I was insane or something.

That same night another big surprise, at the hostel they had free tickets for a free meal.
' A free meal ? ' I asked, that cannot be !
' Why not ? ' the nice lady behind the desk answered.
' Well, I always was thought nothing is for free, only sunrise !
Then you make a little tapdance for me she said, so you have paid for it !

And so I did a little tapdance for her and got my ticket, went to the restaurant and really, got myself a free, verry good meal !
Great huh ?!?
Next evening same ritual only without tapdance, so this time really for free !

Great country, I love it from the beginning !

Everything is so good, you can walk on the sidewalk of the street without being blown of by hundreds of scooters....
The cars almost make no sound, they fly on the asphalt ....
When you speak to someone they actually do understand you ...
And you can buy whatever you want !
It is so easy going, I'm sure I will love it the rest of my time here.

So, tomorrow on the road again, heading south.
With a heavy, very heavy bike. Today bought so much food to bring with me I hope I can push my bike towards Alice ;-)

Greetings to all of ya