Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: Lars' Revanche in the Andes - Pagina 3 - Forum Wereldfietser

Lars' Revanche in the Andes

371 berichten
Ha ha ha Fokko !

Hola !

So, from Puerto Natales I took the ferry, the mini cruise to Puerto Montt :-)

The first day we visited a glacier, the third for me !
The boat came very near, sailing through icecubes the size of a car, too big to fill your glass of whiskey hey ;-)
Besides that, good whiskey you drink pure ...

On board it was good fun with 200 other travellers, many dutch people !

I think because the cruise is not expensive; a bed for 4 nights, all the meals for free and fruit drinks as well, and that for 270 euro, not bad indeed.
We played many silly card games, watched movies and drank wine.

The last night, Bingo night !
Everybody wo won a price had to dance for it.
Mmm, I am not that of a dancer and ofcourse ...
The second game I won.
I stared at my bingo plate, heared somebody else shout : Bingo ! and I whispered to my bingo companions : ´ I had bingo too ´
Go for it said Laura ( hai Laura :-) and I shook my head, nah ....
Laura grabbed my winning plate, stood up and went to the front.

For one second I thought, pfieuwww
Then the other dutch people said, guess who Laura is going to choose to dance with ;-)
Shame, I forgot about that ( everybody wo won had to dance before collecting the price. And they could pick whoever they wanted to dance with ... )
And yes, I saw Laura laughing, looking and waving at me.

Ooohhh .... ofcourse I could not say no so I went forward where Laura and two other people were waiting and I danced.
Thank God it only lasted a minute.
Laura received the price, when she saw it was only one price she was puzzled but I said : ´ the price is yours Laura ´ , gentleman as I am ;-)

So yeah, we had great fun aboard and thanks to some pills I didn´t get seasick.

The next day we arrived in Puerto Montt where some of us were in the same bus to Valparaiso / Santiago.
But I got of in Rancagua, I wanted to reach Valparaiso by bike.

Now, on my map I had seen a nice shortcut, through a National Park.
The beginning of the road, sorry, 4x4 track was hard to find, a chilenean guy on a bicycle guided me to the beginning and said something like a left turnoff, a house, 800 and 1000 meters ...
Mmmm, a puzzle !

I cycled up and up, passed a house.
Saw a man sitting and asked directions.
´ Here left he said ´
I almost missed it !!!
So lucky the man was there to point me the way ( remember this )

In the hottest of the day I climbed and climbed untill after a couple of hours I reached the top.
A gate.
Locked.

But I saw a guard and he let me through but then said I couldn´t go on.
What !?!?!
He said something like a mining company, private road and two, very impopular words ( for me ) : no possible
Now, I have been raised that everything is possible.
Second, turning back is the worst option, actually no option.
So I told the guard my thoughts about this matter, dutch as I am hey ;-)

The guard took his phone, called somebody else. Same answer : no possible.
Then he called a supervisor of the mine. Still no.
Not possilble.
I told the guard that I met a jeep earlier that day, coming from the mining area.
The driver of the jeep even told me I could find some water in the valley.
So for him it was possible, why not for me ?

Then the guard draw me a picture of the road, and where a lake covered the road.
´ I can go through the forest ´ I said.
And I pointed to the ground, where many truck tyres were printed.
´ And what about those ? ´
Then he said something like he would lose his job if he let me through.
So I asked if he was there all night.
´ No ´ he said, ´ I am going home in an hour,coming back tomorrow at 0900 hours´
´ So nobody here at night huh, what happens if I go back for 500 meters, pitch my tent in the forest, wake up early and sneek through the gate at 8 ?
Then it is not your fault ! ´
And then he said something like the mining people would arrest me ...
I believed him and sort of gave him my word that in the morning I would go back.

But in the evening another jeep came, they had keys of the gate.
I explained them my situation and they thought I could go on : nah, no problem !

Now I really didn´t know what to do so I went to bed.
Komt tijd komt raad, right ?

In the moring a motorcycle came from the same way as I came yesterday and after a chat with them they too said it was indeed possible to move on.

So I wrote a note for the guard, saying I was going back.
With my name and signature, sort of a proof for him he did his work OK.

;-)

The track through the valley was very nice and the first people I met I had a chat with and a laugh. When he wanted to contact his superior ( by radio ) I said : ´ No, please do not do that, I will talk to him ´
They accepted and I cycled on.

I met a lot more mining people and talked, joked my way through.
And when I reached the outgoing gate, what could the guard do, send me back all the way ?
No way.
And he didn´t ;-)
I had to write down my name and my pass nr.
I have no pass I said, do you want my passport or telephone nr ?
Ha ha ha, he didn´t want, opened the gate and yes, again I did it !!!
So glad I didn´t go back yesterday !

Like that time in India when I was at the gate of this Tiger Park. The guards didn´t want to let me through either.
´ Ofcourse not ´ you think ?
Cycling in a park with tigers ?
But I saw many other people on the road through the park.
Indian people on bicyles.
And I wasn´t allowed ???

Very early next morning I detoured that gate, walking through the forest.
Found the road and cycled through the park.
Actually it were two parks and when entering the second one the guard tried to grab me but I was faster on my bike.
My angry, very loud scream maybe helped too ;-)

And at the outgoing gate I was almost arrested, or beaten up by this very angry supervisor.
I had to come into his office and the things he shouted at me ...
I stood there, knowing he wasn´t going to send me back he ;-)

So I played the game of a tourist who is very sorry.
( I think my eyes said someting different, laughing inside ... )
So I said again, I was very sorry, and ´ I am from Holland ´ I said.

If that would explain my determination to cycle through this Tiger Park hey ;-)

Later I found out there were like 600 tigers in the park ...

What is a man without some luck hey !

I am now in great, beautiful and sometimes stunning Valparaiso by the way ...

Hasta Luego !
Hola !

When I was in the much colder Patagonia I looked forward to hot sunny days.
Those I got, plenty ...

I cycled in 6 days from Valparaiso to Vicuna, day temperatures of 30 + degrees.
It was a nice route through the mountains, heavy cycling in the heat !

There were also some tunnels, 5 in total.
The first one was the longest. Because it was only 3 meters wide it was one-way traffic and regulated by traffic lights. And no light in the tunnel.
A few cars were waiting and I was not sure what to do; cycle at the end of the line through the tunnel ? But I was much slower then the cars so when I would be in the middle of the tunnel the cars coming from the other side would give me problems ...

Two friendly man in a pick-up handed me the solution : a ride through the tunnel in their car :-)

Nature is very dry here, semi desert.
Great mountains dotted with family of my favorite cactus, the Saguara from Arizona, awesome !

The second dark tunnel approached.
Just before I reached it two guys in a car stopped me and offered me a smoke, a special smoke ;-)
As it was a long long time ago for me I accepted, hey, I am still dutch right !
Spacy it was, cycling through this dark tunnel with my headlight onvery special :-)

This part of the route was very quiet, 5 cars a day so cycling this tunnel wasn't too dangerous.

The fifth day I hitchhiked for 70 km because I wanted to reach Vicuna on the 25 th.

On Christmas Day I had to climb this 1987 m high pass. Not too high but in the heat and burning sun not really easy. Climbing percentages of 15, 18 and 20 percent made me walk, push my bike uphill for some parts.

Quite a memorable Cristmas Day !

I enjoyed my two resting days in Vicuna, the first day was to recover from last week and the second one to gain strenght, and courage for my next highlight : cycling 4775 m high Paso del Agua Negra into Argentina.

I wish you all a great new years eve and a healthy, happy and very good 2013 !

My new years eve ?

I have this crazy plan to celabrate it on top of the Paso del Agua Negra, weather cooperating, and if I can find a place to pitch my tent.
Just checked the weatherforcast for coming days : at 4775 meters it will be -8 degrees at night and +2 degrees during daytime.

Doable :-)

All the best, have a good one !!!

Lars
Hola !

This story begins in a galaxy, far far away ...
What ?
You think it's a joke ? Hell no

The last night in Vicuna I went to an observatory, to watch stars.
The guide showed us some nice things and at one point he showed us a million stars ...
No really, not as a saying but really a million stars, in one single view through the telescope. Invisible with the bare eye but through the lens ...
It is hard to describe ...
So far away, so many tiny lights ...
Absolutely stunning !!!

And so was the ride up Paso del Agua Negra the next 3 1/2 day.
I started at 680 meters above seelevel.
First night I camped at 1200 meters.
Second night I camped at 2300 meters.

And the mountains became prettier and prettier :-)
I've seen green mountains, black, brown, reddish brown, yellow, white mountains dotted with brown rocks.
Grey mountains, light grey, dark grey, greenish, yellowish, reddish grey, fifty shades of grey !!!

The third night I camped at 3500 meters.

This pass with all these coloured mountains is one of the best I have ever cycled !

And one of the hardest ...

Above 3500 meters every little climb was a battle.
5 % I could cycle for a while but 8 % or higher no more.
Yeah, I could for like 10 meters, then I had to stop, pumping oxigen into my lungs.
I was breathing so quick ...
10 , 20 seconds and I was allright again and moved on

My plan was to camp at the top ( 4775 meters ) but on route I changed my plan.
It was so hard cycling that I didn't want to carry the last 16 km to the top 5 extra liters of water with me ( which I needed for camping on top)
I knew where the last stream was and from there there was no more water untill at the other side, over the top in Argentina.

At the top, YEAH !!!!! I reached it :-) I took some pictures and climbed my bike to race down.
I checked my breaks ( my front brake made some strange noise since I changed the brake pads 1 day ago ) and ...
My front brake wasn't working any more !!!!
I pressed the brake all the way but nothing ...

My rear brake worked for like 70 %
What the hell !

six o'clock, allmost out of water I had to go down the pass to reach the first stream at 4000 meters.
But without brakes pretty dangerous, I thought.
Thank God the road wasn't steep so I could do it with only one brake ...
So I made it safely to the first stream, now I had water again and the first possible campsites came within reach.
Pfff, what an adventure !

Next day I made it safely again to Pismanta where I planned a day rest.
And I had to look at my hydraulic discbrakes.

At the tourist info centre I googled ' how to add oil for Magura disc brakes '
Or something like that :-)
Found some films on youtube and a little wiser I went back to my hostal, first ceaned my chain, then changed my tyres ( I blew up one yesterday going down the mountain ) and looked at my brakes.
Tried the front one and ...
You can't believe it.
IT WAS WORKING AGAIN !!!!

So strange ...
If only looking at some videos helped hey ;-)
Maybe it was the altitude when it didn't work ?
I do not know but as long as it works, fine with me !

So, now I am in Pismanta.
2 houses and a hotel with .... Thermal baths !
And only for 10 pesos ( 1.60 euro )

Yesterday I took two baths, first one 38 degrees, second one 40 degrees.
Today I am going again, very happy that my brakes are working again !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaintest 5000 km

Shimano HG 70 still 100 % worn out
KMC X8 is at one point 46 % worn out, at the other end of this 35 cm long piece of chain it is 56 % worn out ...
KMC Gold is 51 % worn out
KMC X1 is at oine point 80 % worn out, at the other end it is 50 % worn out; the 80 % worn out part is coming after the completly worn out Shimano part.

Strange huh ?

But everything is a little strange, my disc brakes, working, not working and working again.
In Coihaique there was some movement in / around my bottom bracket ( which was brand new so I refused at that time to replace it ) and that worked out good as well. The clearance is gone ...

Despite strange things are happening, to me or my bike, I am enjoying a 100 %

In a few days in Mendoza again ( I was here as well 3 years ago ) and then to Cordoba, visiting 2 national parks on the way.

Life is good on the bike !

All the best and a happy new year ofcourse !!!

Lars
lars de wit schreef:Hola !

This story begins in a galaxy, far far away ...
What ?
You think it's a joke ? Hell no

The last night in Vicuna I went to an observatory, to watch stars.
The guide showed us some nice things and at one point he showed us a million stars ...
No really, not as a saying but really a million stars, in one single view through the telescope. Invisible with the bare eye but through the lens ...
It is hard to describe ...
So far away, so many tiny lights ...
Absolutely stunning !!!

And so was the ride up Paso del Agua Negra the next 3 1/2 day.
I started at 680 meters above seelevel.
First night I camped at 1200 meters.
Second night I camped at 2300 meters.

And the mountains became prettier and prettier :-)
I've seen green mountains, black, brown, reddish brown, yellow, white mountains dotted with brown rocks.
Grey mountains, light grey, dark grey, greenish, yellowish, reddish grey, fifty shades of grey !!!

The third night I camped at 3500 meters.

This pass with all these coloured mountains is one of the best I have ever cycled !

And one of the hardest ...

Above 3500 meters every little climb was a battle.
5 % I could cycle for a while but 8 % or higher no more.
Yeah, I could for like 10 meters, then I had to stop, pumping oxigen into my lungs.
I was breathing so quick ...
10 , 20 seconds and I was allright again and moved on

My plan was to camp at the top ( 4775 meters ) but on route I changed my plan.
It was so hard cycling that I didn't want to carry the last 16 km to the top 5 extra liters of water with me ( which I needed for camping on top)
I knew where the last stream was and from there there was no more water untill at the other side, over the top in Argentina.

At the top, YEAH !!!!! I reached it :-) I took some pictures and climbed my bike to race down.
I checked my breaks ( my front brake made some strange noise since I changed the brake pads 1 day ago ) and ...
My front brake wasn't working any more !!!!
I pressed the brake all the way but nothing ...

My rear brake worked for like 70 %
What the hell !

six o'clock, allmost out of water I had to go down the pass to reach the first stream at 4000 meters.
But without brakes pretty dangerous, I thought.
Thank God the road wasn't steep so I could do it with only one brake ...
So I made it safely to the first stream, now I had water again and the first possible campsites came within reach.
Pfff, what an adventure !

Next day I made it safely again to Pismanta where I planned a day rest.
And I had to look at my hydraulic discbrakes.

At the tourist info centre I googled ' how to add oil for Magura disc brakes '
Or something like that :-)
Found some films on youtube and a little wiser I went back to my hostal, first ceaned my chain, then changed my tyres ( I blew up one yesterday going down the mountain ) and looked at my brakes.
Tried the front one and ...
You can't believe it.
IT WAS WORKING AGAIN !!!!

So strange ...
If only looking at some videos helped hey ;-)
Maybe it was the altitude when it didn't work ?
I do not know but as long as it works, fine with me !

So, now I am in Pismanta.
2 houses and a hotel with .... Thermal baths !
And only for 10 pesos ( 1.60 euro )

Yesterday I took two baths, first one 38 degrees, second one 40 degrees.
Today I am going again, very happy that my brakes are working again !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaintest 5000 km

KMC X8 is at one point 46 % worn out, at the other end of this 35 cm long piece of chain it is 56 % worn out ...
KMC Gold is 51 % worn out
KMC X1 is at oine point 80 % worn out, at the other end it is 50 % worn out; the 80 % worn out part is coming after the completly worn out Shimano part.

Strange huh ?

But everything is a little strange, my disc brakes, working, not working and working again.
In Coihaique there was some movement in / around my bottom bracket ( which was brand new so I refused at that time to replace it ) and that worked out good as well. The clearance is gone ...

Despite strange things are happening, to me or my bike, I am enjoying a 100 %

In a few days in Mendoza again ( I was here as well 3 years ago ) and then to Cordoba, visiting 2 national parks on the way.

Life is good on the bike !

All the best and a happy new year ofcourse !!!

Lars
Ah, you have yourself one of those rare self-mending bikes... Hold on to that one!
Zo te lezen was dat een FUN-tas-tische Oud & Nieuw-tocht... :D Hier was de O&N-tocht ook funtastisch, doch een beetje nat op Nieuwjaarsochtend. :lol: Zo geweldig gezellig, maar volgend jaar mag jij 'm wel organiseren hoor Lars: een tochtje over zo'n berg lijkt me wel weer wat! (*Hoopt dat Henk nu niet jaloers wordt... :wink: *)
Hola !

The night I arrived in beautiful Mendoza there was a BBQ in the Hostel I stayed.
Only, the beginning was 21.00 hours and with a day of cycling in my legs for sure I couldn´t wait that long.
Normally, in Holland too, I eat at 18.00 hours and sometimes ( make that many times ) I am asleep at 2100 hours when I am camping.
So I cooked my own meal in the hostel; chorizo and pan ( bread ) => Choripan , muy bien !
And watched a movie later on, when the party was reaching a high level. People chearing and clapping their hands and laughing, boy, I regretted not joining them ...
But ...
Next morning I saw that that night they gave a Pasta Party, all you can eat pasta and a caraf of wine, for only 35 pesos which is about 5.50 euro.
Remembering the party of last night I looked forward :-)

Then I found out that this party was at another hostel, 1 1/2 block down the street so at 20.20 I walked down the street ( this great party strted at 20.30, much better ! )
Arriving at 20.30 I saw nobody.
Only empty tables ...
Mmm, maybe the all came later.
So I sat down and started with my wine.
But when the pasta came I was still all alone !

And I stayed alone, all evening :-(
My party hey ;-)
Thank God I am used to go to reastaurants alone so I didn´t bother too much but with the thought of 50 partying people last night the apple was a little sour ;-)

Next day I cycled out of Mendoza north to San Juan and then east to Marayes and further north.
The days were hot, incredible hot, above 35 degrees with a burning sun.
Some days close to 40 degrees, difficult to sleep at night when it is still 32 degrees in my tent.
One of those hot nights I was having a little fight with my stove ( I won )
With my fingers all black I heared a loud noise, looked next to me and there was flying the largest bug I ever saw, IN my tent !!!
8 cm´s of black insect, orange wings maybe 12 cm´s wide, brrr
And I could do nothing, my hands full and dirty so I did, ahum,. maybe I should not tell this ...
Ahh, okay then ....

I screamed like a woman !

AHHHHHHH !!!!!

And, it helped !
The insect sort ok looked puzzled at me and flew away :-)
Pfff, scary shit !

So I made it alive and not completely dried out to San Agustin de Valle Fertil, where I am now in an internetcafe. Comparing this cybercafe with the ones in Africa the African ones are very fast !

Tomorrow I will continue cycling north, maybe with the argentinian cyclist I met today :-)
2 national parks and slowly but steady higher into the mountains towards Salta, can´t wait !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaintest 6000 km

KMC X8 now 56 % worn out
KMC Gold now 74 % worn out
KMC X1 now on one spot 60 % and another spot 85 % worn out

All the best !!!
Hola !

I arrived, safe and dry, in Cafayate, a great city !
Situated in a valley, surrounded by great mountainranges, a little like Tulbagh in SA.
And, like almost all south american cities, with a great Plaza.

But it wasn´t easy to reach Cafayate ...

Hot days, around 35 degrees, sometimes rain and some headwinds.
The day I left Pitui I think the name was, where I had a late lunch I rode towards a very dark sky, lots of rain in the air in front of me.
And yes, after 5 km the first big drops.
I put on my raincoat but then decided to go back to Pitui where, just outside the village, there was an abandoned police post with a nice roof where I could pitch my tent, dry.
So I did :-)

Later that night a man on a horse came by.
After a chat he gave me a 6000 to 12000 year old present, from the stone age !
He found it in the mountains after heavy rainfall.
It was a flintstone knife, for cutting hides.
A great gift hey !
I gave him a little wooden shoe from Holland in return, 1 year old.
:-)

Next day was dry so I jumped on the bike again to continue north.
And almost ran over a spider ...
Actually, it was quite hard to miss it, that big it was !
The size of my handpalm, brrr
Took some nice pictures and was very happy with my telelens on my camera ;-)

Due to heavy rainfall a normally dry river I had to cross changed into a very fast streaming river.
Many cars at both sides made the crossing one by one, helped by 6 or 7 boys in the middle of the river to push the cars through the hardest part.

I thought : piece of cake on the bicycle !
So I put on my Teva rivercrossing sandals and started to walk through the water.
In the middle a stranded truck stood still.
The water coming almost to my knees I pushed through the deepest part and suddenly my bike started to float away from me in the heavy stream.
Thank God the boys helped me otherwise I maybe had lost my bike !

On the other hand, if I had to do it all alone I would have first checked out the strenght of the river without my bike and then walk my bike and bags separately to the other side of the river.

So I am now in Cafayate from where I go to Salta.
There are 2 roads to Salta which are both nice.
So I cycle them both :-)
The first road ( the 68 I think ) is spectacular for the first 50 km.
So after 50 km I turn around, cycle back to Cafayate and then cycle ruta 40 to Cachi and Salta.

See you in Salta !

Lars
Waterproof bags proved to be airtight as well! Keep it up Lars! Will you post pictures when you've got the chance?
Nah ...

Ik zou niet eens weten hoe Travelmaster, iets met flikkr ofzo ?

Misschien als iemand het me eens voor zou doen of heel duidelijk stap voor stap uit zou kunnen leggen ...

Untill then, dream on !

Lars
Hoi Lars,

Stap voor stap:

1. Ga naar http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/
2. Login met je Yahoo-account
3. Op de pagina die je dan krijgt kun je foto's slepen vanuit Windows bestandsbeheer. Sleep de foto van de spin ernaartoe om te testen :-)
4. Klik op "description" onder de foto en vul in "enge spin"
5. Klik rechtsboven op de blauwe knop "Upload photo"
6. Klik op "Upload To Photostream"
7. Je krijgt nu je eigen Flickr-fotopagina te zien, met de foto erop. Het webadres zal iets zijn als http://www.flickr.com/photos/12345678@N01/
8. Zet het webadres van jouw Flickr-pagina hier op het forum en wij kunnen jouw enge spin bekijken :-)

Als je er niet uitkomt stuur me maar een PBtje.
Ik ben benieuwd!

Gaele
De eerste foto van Lars in Patagonië staat inmiddels online :wink:

Afbeelding
Ha ha ha Gaele, je was me net voor ..

Het is een spaanse versie van Flickr geworden, zo gaat dat helaas als je in het buitenland bent. Yahoo is ook de argentijnse versie als ik yahoo.com open.

Maar dankzij jouw geweldige uitleg, en mijn even geweldige tactische inzicht, is hier een primeur !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92663566@N05/

Groetjes !

Ps nu maar niet hopen dat men meer en meer fotoos verlangt, duurt lang zeg 1 foto uploaden ! ( ben liever buiten :wink: )
Ha leuk! Zo'n foto van de fiets naast een enorme cactus heb ik ook ooit eens gemaakt. Mooi man!

Buen viaje,

Gael
Ja Gaele,

Maar de kramp springt mij spontaan in de kuiten bij het zien van Lars zijn volbepakte freightcarrier.... :?
Ja, kijk, zo wil straks iedereen naar Zuid-Amerika, na het zien van deze foto's. :)

Al 4000+ views op dit topic, kun je nagaan....
Fokko schreef:Ja Gaele,

Maar de kramp springt mij spontaan in de kuiten bij het zien van Lars zijn volbepakte freightcarrier.... :?
Kwestie van oefenen. Wel een ENGE SPIN!
Roald heeft gelijk, het moet niet al te druk worden daar :-)
Leon
Hola !

Quebrada de Cafayate ( ruta 68 from Cafayate to Salta ) , Valles Calchaquies ( ruta 40 from Cafayate to Cachi and Salta ) and Cuesta del Obispo ( ruta 33 )

Stunning nature, a visual feast riding through !

I am gonna miss Argentina ...

Salta is a nice city with many old buildings and beautiful churches and ofcourse, a nice central plaza, here called Plaza de 9 julio.

On route to Salta I was asking directions and one of the three man who were working on the road explained me. But, it was very far he said !

How far I asked and he said, well, maybe 3 or 4 km.

I looked at him in disbelief and started to laugh, far ? I asked.

Ha ha you know what is far, Ushuaia ! ( I tell everybody that I started in Ushuaia, it is a bigger town then Puerto Natales so everybody knows it and it is much easier saying so then explaining that I started in Santiago, cycled south to Puerto Natales, took the boat back to Puerto Montt, a bus to 200 km south of Santiago, cycled to Valparaiso and Vicuna, into Argentina again, first south to Mendoza and then mostly ruta 40 north to Salta, a 7300 km trip so far )

See, even typing it is a long story ;-)

Ha ha ha 3 to 4 km far, I had a good laugh !

Furthermore not much funny happened so here is a story from 1200 days ago, 1100 km south, time 10.00 hours

I was having second breakfast near Ingeniero Gustavo Andre ( just northeast of Mendoza ) and sat at a little kiosk where was this funny little kid ...

Sitting outside, enjoing my meal ther was this funny little guy, age 6 or 7.
We chatted a little bit and then his dog came along.
Hahaha John Telleman probably knows what comes next, we did it in India many times ...
He I said, what a big cat is that !
The boy looked at me and said, no, it is a dog.
I said, yeah, but what a big cat it is !
The boy said again, no it is a dog !
I said, yeah ... miauw !
Hello big cat !!!
The boy said again, no, it is a dog !!! Shouting already a little and rolling with his eyes ...
Look he said, a cat is like this big, has long white hairs on his face and walks like this : and he even walked like a cat :-)
I was laughing already, funny little boy.
I said again, yeah, but I never saw such a big cat, miauw, miauw !!!
This time the boy was jumping on his feet and shouting like 10 cm from my ear : IT IS NO CAT, IT IS A DOG !!!!
Hahaha, tears from laughter were rolling down my cheeks !

Ha ha even now, in San Antonio de los Cobres, 3775 m above sealevel, I am having a good laugh :-)

Today is a resting day and to acclimate.
Tomorrow I will continue ruta 51 over Paso de Sico ( 4080 m ) but first have to go over 4550 meter.
And then I am in Chili again, on my way to see more stunning nature such as geysers, volcano's, salt lakes :-)

Hasta luego !

Ps here are some pics, thanks to Gaele ;-)http://www.flickr.com/photos/92663566@N05/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaintest 7000 km and 7300 km

KMC X8 is now 91 % worn out
KMC Gold is now 89 % worn out
KMC X1 is now 90 % worn out

7300 km gave the same result.
Why a 7300 measurement ?
Because I changed my chain, I had a spare one with me.
The testing chain had a tick in it since roughly the first 1000 kilometers.
I calculated it, more then one million ticks I had to hear and feel and now I was sort of sick and tyred of it.
I wanted to change my chain a long time ( and kilometers ) ago but I wanted to do the chaintest as well so I kept going with it.

The winner is for me KMC X8
KMC Gold and KMC X1 are slightly better but that is to neglect.
And with 14,95 euro for the KMC X8 chain it will be my next choice !

I will continue this trip with a new Shimano HG 70 because I brought that one from Hollland and measure again, just for fun.

Tailwinds !!!

;-)
Hello,

You haven´t heared from from sime time, with reason.
I have had a terrible accident, actually looked death into his eyes twice ...

It is a long story and I will tell it later ( now I have to go to Intensive Care in the Hospital of Santiago )

A few hours ago me was told they have to amputate my right legt, just under the knee.
My God I am hoping this is all a bad dream or this mail a funny one but neither I am afreid ...

I hope I can get home as soon as possible.

Greetings Lars
Wow... Da's nog eens heftig nieuws. Hopelijk is het inderdaad niet nodig om te amputeren. Ben benieuwd naar het verhaal er achter. Maar voor nu: het beste, Lars! Moge de uitkomst positief zijn.
Vrienden, weten jullie of Lars daar alleen zit? Heeft hij ondersteuning? Wordt hij opgevangen? We hebben het nieuws net gehoord en ik weet even nog niet wat te doen. Maar ik weet ook dat er binnen onze vereniging een hoop goede vrienden van Lars te vinden zijn. Even buiten dit forum met elkaar contact hebben?